Friday, August 12, 2011

Tips on Photographing Your Kids

I enjoy amateur photography as a hobby. I take pictures mostly of wildlife and plants, but I find children far more challenging to photograph than any cricket, bird, or butterfly! I mostly practice on Whitney since she is practically my child, but I have taken pictures of a few others. They all proved to be just as tiresome. Here are a few tips I have for parents that want to get a few decent shots of their children.
  1. Take pictures frequently of different activities. Children that are awkward behind a camera in my experience do not cooperate as well. For example, when Whitney bakes cookies I sometimes bust out the nikon. I let her take her own pictures and also use the remote so she is familiar with the camera. Nine times out of ten she is thrilled for more pictures!
  2. For outdoors, watch out for shadows or direct sun. Shadows create splotches and direct sun causes squinted eyes.
  3. Let them come up with some of their own poses. Whitney really enjoys creating her own poses. Although I would not have a large picture framed, the poses are cute and I love the pictures.
  4. Try some smiling pictures and some serious pictures as well. I like to have a variety of emotions captured.
  5. Relate the child to someone/something they look up to. I told Whitney she looked like Alice in Wonderland. Afterwards she went into a cute prissy mode that made for great pictures. I also let her use some AIW props. She really enjoyed that.
  6. Scope out potential locations for the pictures and do a few practice shots to see how the lighting will be.
  7. Remember to let them have fun too! If they're miserable it will show.




~Happy photographing!~

No comments:

Post a Comment